Satin, slip dresses, dark makeup, chokers and a Clinton running for President – welcome to the 90s. Only, it’s 2016. They say fashion repeats itself and this season it’s no exception. Slip dresses are not going anywhere anytime soon and not everyone wants to style their slip dress over a t-shirt. This How-to-Style Sunday, I took my Tricolour Slip Dress from Zara and created three different looks that are easy and affordable.
How to Style Slip Dresses for a Casual Look.
Weekends are all about on-the-go style. A typical weekend for me involves morning errands like groceries or laundry, running around for photo shoots lugging huge totes while gaining awkward stares, exploring the city and meeting with friends. Weekend style should never try too hard; most importantly, it should be functional.
How I Styled This Look:
- It’s still warm out so the slip dress on its own is just fine.
- Sneakers are my weekend go-to’s. I’m typically in heels during the week and carrying totes on weekends; I need shoes I can move comfortably in.
- A medium-sized bag is the perfect accessory. I added a pop of color and detail to my Rebecca Minkoff bag with a cute blue keychain to add some individual style and personality!
- Accessorize to where you feel comfortable. I’m loving choker’s – they’re fun and always add a bit of edge. Baseball caps are great for protecting your face from the sun and hides the fact I’m always people watching.
How to Style a Slip Dress for Early Fall.
With the official fall date being September 22nd, I am already pulling out my chunky sweaters for the season. Earlier this week, I styled this sweater with a faux leather pencil skirt and loved the look so much I had to repeat! Slip dresses work great under chunky sweaters and look chic enough to wear for a day-to-night look.
Why I Styled This Look:
- Chunky sweaters are meant to be big and give full 90s nostalgia. Extra long sleeves are in this season, but for a bit of functionality, roll them up just a bit.
- Loafers are my typical weekday flat and I’m obsessed with these Jeffrey Campbell loafers via NastyGal (currently Out of Stock). Try a pair of loafers to give a laid back look or switch into heels to take this outfit into an early dinner.
- Tassels and dainty jewelry will be everywhere this season. A fun fact is I wear these rings and earrings almost every day. I’m not big on accessories, but I love how simple and elegant small earrings look on.
Styling a Slip Dress for an Evening Out.
To be perfectly honest, I haven’t had much luck in the dating game since I moved to New York. Dating is awkward, confusing and everyone thinks they can do better. So, I save my best pieces for nights out with my girlfriends!
As it gets cooler during the nights, outerwear is the way to go! I was gifted this Warehouse-UK blazer back in 2013 when I was a Fashion PR intern in the city and it’s truly one of my favorite pieces. A night out is all about making a statement.
To Style This Look:
- Don’t be afraid to be bold with your fashion choices! Slip dresses are naturally sexy and it needs the personality to match.
- This season is all about statements and pearls will be everywhere. Vintage pearls are special, especially if handed down from mother to daughter.
- Typically, I wear my Banana Republic heels to work even though my Shoe Repair Man says they’re dress shoes. Whatever, they’re comfortable and walking down cobble stone streets I need comfort.
Slip dresses can be a lot of fun and I love their versatility. Think about how you spend your days and consider buying pieces that can fit each occasion. A general rule of thumb for me is to come up with 2-3 outfits there at the store. If I can come up with many then it’s worth purchasing. Have a specific style or trend you’d like me to style? Leave a comment below with something you’d like to see. Until next time!
Shop Similar Looks Here:
Check Out More How-to-Style Sunday Series:
Photography by: Jurien Huggins
Stay Connected + Exclusive Content
Sign up for my newsletter to receive exclusive updates, content and early access to:
– Blog posts
– Fashion, Beauty & Skin Care tips
– Weekly looks roundup
– Sales updates
Enter your name and email below, can’t wait to connect!