Sheet masks are the best way to decompress from the week and give your face a lift.
Who doesn’t love a good facial or Friday?
Last Friday, I shared my experience with professional facial salon, HeyDay in Nomad where I went in for my second facial and first extraction. When I’m not getting a professional facial (because “Hi, I’m a 20-something millennial living in New York City), I like to use a quick and easy sheet mask as my at-home remedy.
What are sheet masks and why am I obsessed with them?
Sheet masks are thin facial sheets, usually made out of hydrogel or microfiber, infused with a variety of essences or vitamins to help with all kinds of skin issues, whether it be hydration, brightening, acne or wrinkles. Typically part of every South Korean beauty blog, sheet masks are becoming widely popular in the states as they are inexpensive, powerful and fun.
I started using sheet masks in July and have become addicted ever since; they’re a beauty girls’ secret weapon and my skin has been so thankful! At first, I used a sheet mask once a day, every day for 30 days and let me tell you – my.skin.glowed. Even with my acne bumps and clogged pores I was getting compliments on how radiant and moisturized my skin looked. After, I narrowed it down to every other day and now I sheet mask 2-3 days a week. The result? Beautiful, glowing, healthy (not even healthy-looking but actually healthy) skin.
The Best Sheet Masks to Use?
If you can, be promiscuous and try them all. My favorite is the Green Tea sheet mask from Nature’s Republic to soothe my irritated skin at the end of the day or the Snail Mucin Hydrogel mask from SKINFOOD to help with my blackheads, but I’m also excited to try the tomato and/or blueberry sheet masks for brightening my dark spots. Some can be expensive like the Dior sheet mask selling for $75, but you don’t need to break the bank and your skin will thank you.
How do I properly apply a sheet mask?
You really can’t fail at this. But in case you do, here are simple instructions below.
- Double cleanse your skin
- Apply toner – toner cleanses your skin and preps it to absorb the essences in the sheet mask
- Tear open the pouch and pull out the mask – I do this over my bathroom sink as there’s extra essence and it drips
- Unfold the mask and put it on your face – make sure to take out any possible air bubbles
- Use the excess essence in the pouch and mask to apply on your neck, shoulders and hands. I have bacne scars so I like to apply to my back as well, especially the brighteners.
- Chill out or take selfies for 15-20 minutes.
- Time’s up! Peel that baby off and look at your skin! It just absorbed so much moisture and vitamins it should look better. I typically let it dry then continue on with my nighttime skincare routine applying my vitamin C serum and moisturizer.
Don’t believe me? Try the #soko7daychallenge by Soko Glam. It’s how I first started; for $25 Soko Glam will send you a variety of sheet masks for you to try on your skin. Take the challenge for 7 days straight and watch your skin change before your eyes.
Have a favorite sheet mask? Let me know about it in the comment section below and I’ll try them out! Really get to know your skin, what it needs and I promise you changes will happen. Until next time!