I straighten my curly hair and I'm not afraid to admit it. As a firm believer in a woman's right to choose, I choose to love and accept my curls as well as enjoy my long, straight hair.
I try to straighten my hair less each time and after the New Year I decided to put the flatiron down for six months. For those transitioning or just choosing to keep their flatiron, I am sharing the homemade hair mask for dry or damaged hair I use. It’s not a complete DIY, but a simple two-step combination that leaves my hair stronger and softer.
Homemade Hair Mask for Dry or Damaged Hair: The Ingredients
For my homemade hair mask for dry or damaged hair I take:
- Two tablespoons of Jane Carter Revive & Repair Hair Masque
- Two tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Heat up in microwave for 15-20 seconds – no more than that unless you’d like to watch it explode
- Divide hair into sections
- Go from root to tip until all hair is covered
- Leave for 15-20 minutes
- For extra conditioning sit under the hair dryer or place hair in a cap and use a blow dryer
And that’s it! I typically deep condition my hair once a week to nourish it, especially the center of my head where it’s received the most breakage and damage. There are 4 key benefits it to deep conditioning:
- Damage Prevention – Deep conditioning treatments impart moisture, improve texture and penetrate your hair shaft to fortify it and reduce split ends and breakage.
- Imparts Moisture – Without moisture our hair not only feels dry and brittle, it becomes dry and brittle. Deep conditioning helps impart moisture to your hair to avoid breakage.
- Promotes Elasticity – Dry, brittle hair snaps and breaks under tension, and no one wants breakage (again, we want to avoid this). In order to combat breakage, you need to nourish, strengthen and moisturize your hair. Deep conditioning treatments can do just that.
- Adds Shine And Luster – And don’t we all want soft, shiny, bouncy curls?
Try this out and let me know how it goes! Depending on your hair you could also use coconut oil, however, I have found coconut oil dries out my hair. Have any fun tips you’d like to share? Write them in the comment section below! Until next time.